Friday, December 21, 2007

Sleeping In

Thursday was not as constructive as I would have hoped. I was at work until 6am the previous night, so I slept until mid-morning. I had appointments with several people, but I had booked them all for 1pm and later, so it worked out pretty well.

I spent most of the afternoon running around, trying to get more paperwork out of the way for the licensing processes. Peter and Ralph came in and replaced the door going into Ducky's (the bar next door) for me, and also hung the two racks that we hang all of our wine glasses on. The ceiling where I wanted to hang them was made of a very light sheetrock, with no backing, so they had to get up inside the drop ceiling and put some wood reinforcements there, that the wine glass racks could grab onto.

In the evening, I did some painting on some shelving and doors, and built several new heavy-duty shelving units for the new kitchen. I spent some time setting up the bar, although since we don't have a liquor license yet, all I could do was put all of our "fake" wine bottles on display, to make it look good. We have a collection of several dozen old bottles from the past decade, all of which have been filled with water and red food colouring, and which have the corks glued back in place, so they make a nice display arrangement behind the bar. I also started to put the stove back together, installed some coat hook racks, and started to sort and rearrange some minor equipment. I am still confident that by the end of the weekend, the restaurant will start to look like a restaurant. As long as the propane gets hooked up in time, we should have a fully functional kitchen by Christmas Eve.