Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Board of Health Approval

Monday was a fairly big day. Again, I was up extremely early, so I could get several hours of stuff done before breakfast.

Some of the minor things that got done yesterday included:
- Kitchen floor completely scrubbed (with SOS pads) to get rid of the layers of grease & grime.
- Both washrooms scrubbed, with the paint cleaned out of the sinks, and drops of paint removed from the floors.
- Shelf for the pizza sheeter and mixer built and painted.
- Shelves over the recyclables painted.
- New thermometers for the fridges and coolers, and all equipment turned on and tested.
- Eighty percent of the lumber cleaned up out of the dining room.
- Seats installed on the rest of the dining room chairs.
- All shelves in the kitchen given a final coat of proper kitchen-grade paint.

The Board of Health inspector came in to look around, and approved us for a food permit. He was extremely helpful in walking around, making suggestions and answering questions. That was a big relief, to know that part of the approval process is out of the way. I should be able to pick up the certificate in Moncton on Thursday of this week, he thinks.

I called the Fire Marshall next, and didn't have as much luck there. The person I talked to asked me for a report that I had already sent them on December 20th, which was quite frustrating. However, I talked to him for quite a while about the challenges of getting open quickly, and it seemed like he was going to look into the file immediately. I hope so - we have a number of people who want to book major events in the restaurant next week. I guess we'll see how things are going later this week.